Thursday, July 7, 2011

Best Male/Female Performances of 2011

With the exception of Shannon, Gleeson, Pitt, Hawkes, Olsen and Chastain, I doubt that many of these performances will feature amongst the Oscar considerations for next year. Nevertheless, here are some of the top performances from the year so far: 

Honourable mentions: Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan (Win Win), Jessica Chastain (The Tree of Life) and Steve Coogan (The Trip)


Male (Lead and Supporting)

Brad Pitt - The Tree of Life
Michael Shannon - Take Shelter
John Hawkes - Martha Marcy May Marlene
Michael Fassbender - X-Men: First Class
Brendan Gleeson - The Guard
Peyman Moaadi - A Separation


Female (Lead and Supporting)

Elizabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene
Jessica Chastain - Take Shelter
Mia Wasikowska - Jane Eyre
Kristen Wiig - Bridesmaids
Elle Fanning - Super 8
Leila Hatami - A Separation

What are the best performances you have seen so far this year? 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the many "good" films of this year yet, but amongst the ones I have I think Fassbender, Wasikowska and Wiig have good chances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fassbender has no chance. The Oscars won't consider a film like "X-Men"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, apart from the ones I singled out, and perhaps some of the performances in A Separation (which likely won't be considered anyway) I doubt these have Oscar chances. Wiig and Giamatti have Golden Globe - comedy shots, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be disappointed if Shannon isn't considered for Lead Actor, Olsen isn't considered for Lead Actress and Pitt and Hawkes aren't considered for Supporting Actor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far, my pick for best actor is Owen Wilson for Midnight in Paris with Hunter McCracken of The Tree of Life in second. I would put Brad Pitt for Best Actor but I kind of see him and Jessica Chastain in more supporting roles.

    Best actress for me right now is Saoirse Ronan for Hanna. I also like the entire ensemble of Midnight in Paris as it's my pick for best ensemble right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Midnight In Paris" has a chance for ensemble. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hunter McCracken is excellent too, and he would be considered the lead of Tree of Life. Pitt and Chastain are supporting, certainly. Chastain could be considered for both Tree of Life and Take Shelter.

    I am yet to see Midnight in Paris, but I'm happy to hear that Owen Wilson turns in a strong performance.

    ReplyDelete