Sunday, July 17, 2011

Classic Scene: Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze, 1999)


My favourite scene from Being John Malkovich, a remarkable, clever and audaciously original black comedy/drama from Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman. John Malkovich and Mr Hiroshi (who had entered Malkovich's personal portal moments before Malkovich himself) are thrown into the ditch near the New Jersey Turnpike where the experience concludes. Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) is waiting by his car to meet them. 

Schwartz: How was it?

Mr Hiroshi: It was amazing this time.

Malkovich: That was no simulation!

Schwartz: I know. I'm sorry.

Mr Hiroshi: Mr Malkovich? (Recognising Malkovich) It's such an honour.

Malkovich (clambering up the slope and grabbing Schwartz roughly by the collar): I have been to the dark side. I've seen a world that no man should see!

Schwartz: Really? For most people it is a rather pleasant experience.

Malkovich: That portal is mine, and it must be sealed forever for the love of God.

Schwartz: But, Mr Malkovich, sir, with all due respect I discovered that portal. It's my livelihood. You Understand?

Malkovich: It's my head, Schwartz! IT'S MY HEEEEAAADDD! I will see you in court.

Schwartz: What makes you think I won't be seeing what you're seeing...in court?

1 comment: