Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Competition Poll: What is your Favourite Harry Potter Film/Novel?


With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II opening in Australian cinemas at Event Cinemas George Street at midnight tonight, and continuing with sessions throughout the night, I sure don't regret my decision to leave that job. There will be Potter mayhem. This is not to say that I'm not a Potter fan myself. I will be seeing the film on Thursday morning, and though I would have liked to have had a marathon where I re-watched all of the films, I have left my run a little bit late. I have decided to hold a competition to honour the closure of the franchise that dominated the blockbuster season for the last decade.

Unfortunately, this competition doesn't stretch to readers/bloggers beyond the borders of Australia (but, please, feel free to leave an answer all the same), but if you'd like to enter the competition to win a $30 JB Hi-Fi voucher (which I will personally send to an address you provide), give me your answer to the following question (after the jump) either in the comments below, or on my Facebook page. I will draw the winner on Friday evening at 6pm.

What is your favourite film in the Harry Potter film franchise, or, if you haven't seen any of the films, what is your favourite of the novels, and why? 


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

OR



My personal favourite is Azkaban, directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Not only was this one of the best books in the series (The Goblet of Fire and The Deathly Hallows being the two other standouts) this adaptation also looks much different to the Chris Columbus instalments. It is darker and grittier, more emotionally involving, and has a maturity that the earlier films did not adopt. It can also stand alone as a great film, a film to turn to when you feel like a quality fantasy adventure, and one that doesn't require prior knowledge about J.K Rowling's world and her characters.

Thank you in advance for your responses. I am looking forward to reading them. Best of luck!

7 comments:

  1. Haha we used the same pic for the Philosopher's Stone.. I just wrote a post on how it's my favourite.. This is mainly a result of watching it constantly during my childhood... I also just think that, as it was the first film, the sense of magic feels a lot fresher and is more exciting.. I also do think that it appeals more to a younger audience than the other films and i guess the films matured as a got older which was good for me.. but yes, will still always love the original...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - the book is obviously better than the film. It's my fav because by the third book, i think JK Rowling has really built on that foundation of characters and really got her readers hooked, its like a place to escape - like i belonged in the book, even if i was just a spectator - the characters have really grown on me like family. Sirius Black - hello? there really is somebody out there, he was exactly like how i imagined. <3 I remember i couldnt put the book down even after bedtime and saw the film on the first day of release in the cinemas, after school. it was packed, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ S.S.L - I checked out your post. Very cool. I love the fresh excitement present in that first film, and remember the trip to the cinema with my family to watch it. I think the series peaked with Azkaban and Goblet of Fire, but really looking forward to Part II. Thanks for the comment S.S.L. Hope you enjoy it too.

    @ Emily - It's my favourite too. The book is awesome, and the film just has a great atmosphere. It is a genuinely fantastic fantasy. Oh, and casting Gary Oldman as Sirius Black was a wonderful decision. I remember seeing that film at the cinema too. It is also the one I put in the DVD player if I feel like some HP :-p Thanks for the comment Emily. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite book and film is Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban. The book for me is what really made me became a Harry Potter fan. It was so different from the previous books and it's the one I still love to read.

    I don't mind the first two films but it felt very standard of a lot of movies at that time. When Cuaron came on board for POA, he really loosened things up. He added a lot of strange humor. He got the actors to feel more comfortable. Plus, he revamped Hogwarts into something much bigger. The stuff with the Dementors were scarier than I imagined in the books. While there's a few qualms about the script over the lack of coverage towards the Marauder's Map. It is still my favorite film of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say either Half Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows Part I are my favorite. (I haven't read the books). The acting is better and the films are darker with a more definite sense of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Steven - I agree. I actually read the three first novels one summer holidays, and while I was hooked after the first, it was Azkaban I loved the most! Yeah, the first couple were very stagey. The acting was awkward, and it relied on its grand set pieces. I also thought Cuaron's film felt less episodic, and is one of the only films in the franchise that could stand alone. I have no qualms about what was included/left out, I think it is a genuinely excellent film.

    @ Castor - The books are mostly excellent. As expected some are weaker than others. But Azkaban the novel (and the film) are the standout for me. I'm surprised you picked Half Blood Prince, which would not be many people's choice. Personally, I liked it. The novel reads like a puzzle, and it is essential to understanding everything that happens in the final one. I thought Yates did a good job with the film. Part 1 was slow in the middle, but I also thought it was pretty solid, overall.

    @ Sam - Haha. Nice. Seeing it in...less than two hours!

    ReplyDelete