Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Releases 28/07


There are four new releases opening in Australian cinemas tomorrow. What makes this week different from last is the fact that I want to see all of them. I have a very busy week ahead. The films are Captain America: The First Avenger, Hanna, The Conspirator and the 2010 Academy Award nominee for Best Animated Film, L'illusionniste [The Illusionist]. Expect reviews for all but L'illusionniste by the end of the weekend.


Captain America: The First Avenger - Don't look now but there is another Superhero film hitting theatres in 2011, and The Green Lantern hasn't even been released yet. From the trailer, I thought this one looked to be the best of the bunch, but as expected, reviews have been a little mixed (RT = 74%). Captain America focuses on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America. Rogers joins forces with Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) to wage war on the evil HYDRA organisation, led by the villainous Red Skull (Hugo Weaving). Directed by Joe Johnson, the film also stars Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci.

Hanna - Hanna (Saorise Ronan) is 16 years old. She is bright, inquisitive and a devoted daughter. Uniquely she has the strength, the stamina and the smarts of a soldier; these come from being raised by her widowed father Erik (Eric Bana), an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of North Finland. Hanna has been living a life unlike any other teenager; her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. But out in the world there is unfinished business for Hanna's family and it is with a combination of pride and apprehension that Erik realises his daughter can no longer be held back. I have heard some overwhelming praise for this film, with the excellent performances, the inspired direction by Joe Wright (Atonement), the crisp action choreography and the score by the Chemical Brothers all recognised. I missed Hanna at the SFF, where it played on Opening Night and was later sold out, but I have been looking forward to it for a few months now.

The Conspirator - In the wake of Abraham Lincoln's assassination, seven men and one woman are arrested and charged with conspiring to kill the President, Vice President and Secretary of State. The lone woman charged, Mary Surrat (Robin Wright Penn) owns a boarding house where John Wilkes Booth (Toby Kebbell) and others met and planned the simultaneous attacks. Against the ominous back-drop of post-Civil War Washington, newly-minted lawyer, Frederick Aiken (James McAvoy), a 28-year-old Union war hero, reluctantly agrees to defend Surratt before a military tribunal. While Redford was a great star in his day, his directorial skills have never matched his skills as a performer. While I'm sure the story will be fascinating, it is being called a bland, ponderous history lesson that disappointingly lacks the required tension to keep audiences engaged.

L'illusionniste [The Illusionist] - This animated comedy/drama directed by Sylvain Chomet is based on an unproduced script written by the late French mime, director and actor Jacques Tati (Mon Oncle) in 1956. The Illusionist is one of a dying breed of stage entertainers. With emerging rock stars stealing his thunder in the later 1950's, he is forced to accept increasingly obscure assignments in fringe theatres, at garden parties and in bars and cafes. Then, while performing in a village pub off the west coast of Scotland, he encounters Alice, an innocent young girl who believes his tricks are real magic and will change his life forever. Though they don't speak the same language, the two lonely strangers quickly bond through acts of small kindness. I would really like to see this critically acclaimed, Academy Award nominated animation, but with such a limited release, I will be hard pressed to find the time to make it out to the Chauvel.

Weekly Recommendation: While I think Captain America will be an enjoyable popcorn flick, and I think L'illusionniste will be a charming and nostalgic adult animation, my strongest recommendation would be Hanna. Check it out! 


9 comments:

  1. Hanna is definitely worth watching. Gah...I could live and die for Saoirse Ronan's eyes. She is such a fantastic actress! The direction and music is pretty cool too. And Cate Blanchett is one bad-ass brilliant woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to it. I agree, she is excellent. I have heard the cinematography and score are awesome too, which are usually features that I get excited about. I'll try and see it on Friday. Thanks for the comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting andy as those were the two points that i felt let hanna down. i have to agree that redfords directing has lit no fires in me the idea of this movie appeals for some reason. not that im gonna rush out and see it at hoyts you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and another thing....tuck and dale vs evil is getting a release in perth today, is that a late release for us or is it not showing anywhere near you? i highly recommend this movie, it's a very funny and interesting take on the traditional teen slasher genre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh really! Hmm, that's interesting. It's strange because some viewers have been blown away by the film, and others have been scathingly negative. Yeah, i'm going to see The Conspirator tomorrow, and while I am intrigued by the story, I have low-ish expectations.

    Tuck and Dale played at the SFF, but they're the only released screenings. If you guys are getting it now, I imagine we will have it in Sydney some time in the next month or so. Likely a very limited release. I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seeing Cap'n USA tomorrow and am quite excited. I am hoping it won't be TOO bad!!

    I loved Tucker and Dale. Probably the highlight of my viewing this year so far. Such a funny film....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it will be too bad. I'm expecting to have the same luke-warm feeling as I did with Thor and X-Men. Not great films, enjoyable and adrenalin-pumping enough in the cinema, but easily forgettable. Oooh, I'll certainly see Tucker and Dale. Should have seen it at SFF, but, you know, I couldn't see everything! Thanks for the comment Custard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was left completely underwhelmed by Captain America. It's decent but totally forgettable. But most people seem to like it and I hope you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Castor, Yeah, I know the feeling you mean. Like Thor and X-Men. Walked out totally underwhelmed. I have been looking forward to this one, so I have expectations of at least having a good time!

    ReplyDelete