Sunday, October 2, 2011

October/November DOTM: Jean-Luc Godard


I have selected Jean-Luc Godard as my October/November Director of the Month. The reason why it is stretched over two months because I intend to watch and review quite a few of his films - nine in fact - and want to be able to take my time, and fit in new releases and other films I have the compulsion to watch. But, here is the schedule of Godard films - entirely from his 1959-67 French New Wave period - that I have on tap:

1959 – Breathless

1961 – A Woman is a Woman

1962 – To Live One’s Life

1963 – Contempt

1964 – Bande a part

1965 – Alphaville

1965 – Pierrot Le Fou (previously viewed)

1966 – Masculine Feminine (previously viewed)

1967 – Week End

Unfortunately, I may not be able to watch them in order of year release, but I'll do my best. Thanks for the recommendations, and continued support.

7 comments:

  1. Where's Made in U.S.A.?

    I would put that in the list considering that it's in that great period of Godard's work. I too, would love to do a Godard marathon but that would require a lot of work since I'm also interested in his post-1967 period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good lineup. The only ones I haven't seen are TO LIVE ONE'S LIFE and PIERROT LE FOU. You're in for some great viewing. I also recommend 2 OR 3 THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER, which was released around the same time as WEEK END.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting list! I really want to see Bande a Part, but I'll be checking out another one from your list...just waiting for your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'v seen A Woman is a Woman, quite enjoyed it :) Watched it before I started my blog though, I think I need to view it again! The other one I saw was Vivre sa vie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought BREATHLESS on Criterion Blu-Ray ... God hope it's good.

    Have fun Andy.

    Oh by the way, I can tell your taking your break (selecting a new director to work on) haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on this new quest! I watched Bande a Part a few weeks ago --- if the other movies are too (for lack of a better word) French for you, that one's pretty fun and accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Steven - I don't know too much about his post 1967 work but I'd like to give it a go some day too. Right now, the New Wave period is what I feel is essential, so I'll stick to that. If I have some energy and motivation left, I'll seek out MADE IN USA! Thanks for the recommendation!

    @ Tyler - I did consider that one too. Perhaps I still will ;-)

    @ Aziza - You might have to wait a little while for the reviews, but I hope I can get my head around Godard. Peirrot Le Fou is pretty weird haha. The LAMB MOTM was Bande a part - inspired me to check it, and Godard's other works, out. I feel he is an essential director for a movie buff!!

    @ Ruth - I was recommended A Woman is a Woman by a friend years ago, and even borrowed it for a while - never watched it. Times change!

    @ Sam - Yeah, so much for a break. Who needs it! Haha. Look forward to sharing thoughts on Breathless!

    @ Sirbriang2 - Thank you. It is exciting, and a little daunting. But I have plenty of time - one Godard a week might be manageable haha. I am looking forward to Bande a part - but I have been hearing great things about Contempt and Week End, so plenty of 'French' to look forward to!

    Appreciate the feedback, everyone!

    ReplyDelete