Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Special: My 50 Favourite Horror Films

Here is a list I have been working on throughout the second half of 2013 – a list of my 50 Favourite Horror Films. This is a collection of films personally assembled and ordered that entertain, provoke, challenge and affect in equal measure (or somewhat equal, as it applies for some) and are worth seeking out if you can stomach the thrills, chills and sinister malevolence offered by the good old horror genre.


While I have watched more horror films this year than any other, I’ll be honest, I still haven’t scratched the surface. For the record, my favourite horror film from 2013 so far is The Conjuring. Japanese horror films and the found footage sub genre, for example, remain gaping holes in my knowledge. A lot of recent viewings have made the list - A Nightmare on Elm Street is particularly high – but most of the Top 10 have been repeatedly scarring me for years and exist amongst my favourite films overall. While I won’t pretend to have seen nearly enough horror films to claim this to be the definitive list, I have made a pretty hardcore effort to catch as many culturally and aesthetically significant classics of the genre as were available to me. I am confident that this list includes winners all the way.

Visit Graffiti With Punctuation for the complete list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment